Shalimar Gardens sometimes written Shalamar Gardens were built by the Moughal Emperor Shah Jahan in 1641 and completed in 1642. The gardens are laid out in the form of an oblong parallelogram surrounded by a high brick wall, which is famous or its fretwork. The gardens are now a World Heritage Site along with Lahore Fort.
In 1818 it was destroyed by the Sikh ruler Ranjit and was used as horse stables. The British returned the garden to its former glory between 1842-1947. Today the gardens are used as a popular venue or young people.